Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Firm Foundation

"Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, 'The Lord knows those who are His,' and, “Everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness.'" 
2 Timothy 2:19

Here we find Paul writing to Timothy about the false teachers in the Corinthian church, two men who were upsetting the congregation with their errant words. I imagine Paul pouring out his anguished heart to his younger friend on parchment. Then, the apostle stops, reflects on the deeper truth of the matter and adds, "Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, 'The Lord knows those who are His,'”  Paul’s words must be our words in these days when so many people around us are falling away from the truth. Christ established the Church, and with Him as its foundation it will continue forward as it has continued to this point. Though it may come down to a small remnant, still it will survive. The Lord knows who belongs to Him. Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me," (John 10:14). He also said there would be those who claim to know Him, but in reality they have no relationship with Him (Matthew 7:22-23).


 "People talk about looking into themselves for evidences of their being ‘saved,’ as they say. I would rather take your neighbour’s opinion as to whether you are saved or not than yours; and you will be far more likely to come to the possession of calm assurance that you do belong to Jesus Christ, if your assurance is based upon this, ‘I am living as He would have me to do.’ That is the infallible sign that you are His." -- Alexander MacLaren

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...