Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Our Refuge


“I love You, O LORD, my strength.” The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies."
Psalm 18:1-3

This is a psalm of deliverance, written by David after the Lord saved Him from all his enemies and the hand of Saul. David called God his rock and fortress. Rock is solid, a fortress is impenetrable. Then David described God as his shield, the horn of his salvation, and his stronghold. A man uses a shield to protect himself. In the horn of an animal is its strength and defense. A stronghold is a place that has been fortified to protect it against attack. So essentially, David is saying that God is his strength; a solid, impenetrable, place of protection that enemies can't overcome. This is David's song of praise, and it can be ours, as well. Our enemies may not be flesh and blood, as his were. They may come in the form of fear, worry, doubt or hopelessness. When they make their appearance, we must call upon the Lord and take refuge in Him. He has promised to give us His peace. "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." (John 14:27)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...