Wednesday, April 11, 2012

By the Word of God

"'Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?' Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them 
the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures."
Luke 24:26-27

The great preacher D.L. Moody once said, “I prayed for faith and thought that some day it would come down and strike me like lightning. But faith didn’t seem to come. One day I read in Romans that “faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God." I had up to this time closed my Bible and prayed for faith. Now I opened my Bible and began to study, and faith has been growing ever since!" The two men on the road to Emmaus, didn't have the faith to understand the suffering and death of Christ, nor fully believe His resurrection, until Jesus "explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures." If they had been familiar with Moses and the prophets they would have known that the Messiah would have to suffer and die before He would be glorified. We know from the rest of Luke 24 that after Jesus taught them these things their eyes were opened to who He was, and they remarked how their "hearts burned" within them. God's word builds faith. If we want to know Him and have the faith that warms our hearts, we need to spend time studying the Bible. Faith doesn't come like a lightning bolt, but by the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...