Tuesday, June 5, 2012

In Gratitude and Sorrow

"And following Him was a large crowd of the people, 
and of women who were mourning and lamenting Him."
Luke 23:27

When we comprehend the great love that compelled Jesus to suffer for us -- that it was His choice, His will, and that He could have called 10,000 angels to rescue Him (Matthew 26:53) -- it should cause us to grieve. Grieve over our sin that required what only Christ could provide: atonement. "He was crucified outside the city gates—that is where he poured out the sacrificial blood that was brought to God's altar to cleanse his people." (Hebrews 13:12 The Message). And Christ's great love and sacrifice should cause us to worship in gratitude. "Why those women loved and wept it were not hard to guess: but they could not have had greater reasons for love and grief than my heart has. Nain's widow saw her son restored-but I myself have been raised to newness of life. Peter's wife's mother was cured of the fever-but I of the greater plague of sin. Out of Magdalene seven devils were cast-but a whole legion out of me. Mary and Martha were favoured with visits-but he dwells with me. His mother bare his body-but he is formed in me the hope of glory. In nothing behind the holy women in debt, let me not be behind them in gratitude or sorrow." (Charles Spurgeon) 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...