Thursday, March 10, 2011

God is Our Hero


"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
         My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
         My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 18:2 

David wrote Psalm 18 "in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul." Biblical scholars disagree on the exact meaning of horn in this verse. Some believe it refers to the horns of an animal, with which it defends itself against predators and attacks its enemies. Others say horn means "the helmet of salvation", as warriors often placed horns, or ornaments appearing as horns, on their helmets as a sign of protection. Another possible meaning is the same as the corners or handles of the altar in the court of the tabernacle, which are called its horns (the horns of the golden altar were sprinkled with blood from the animal sacrifice to cleanse and purify it from the sins of the Israelites -- Leviticus 4:7, 16:18). Or horn could be a reference to the highest point of a great mountain; its peak. Whichever view we assume, the message is essentially the same. God defends and protects us. He is the source of our salvation and when we run to Him we are far from our enemies. God is our hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...