Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's Your Plan?


Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that."
James 4:13-15

One of my best friends has this quote on her Facebook: "Nothing is as powerful as knowing you are smack dab in the middle of God's will." I agree with that. There is power in knowing you are right where God wants you. And there is also freedom in that knowledge. I can pen all the five year plans I want, but if those plans are prideful, self-serving goals, I might as well be writing them on tissue paper and throwing them to the wind. It's better if I humbly seek God's will for my life and let Him direct me. Sometimes it's a step-by-step process, beginning with what I do know: God wants my worship and obedience to His word. I can start right there and He'll show me the next step, and then the next. And that's where the freedom comes in. I don't have to worry about the future when pleasing God is my desire. Life is brief, and I don't want to squander my time or resources. Jesus said, " Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;" (Matthew 6:19-20). Sounds like a great plan to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...