Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Seek the Face that Satisfies

"Seek the Lord and His strength;
Seek His face continually."
1 Chronicles 16:11


Americans, as well as many other people around the world, seem to continually seek after things that have no eternal value. I certainly fell into that category for the first third of my adult life. The desire for material things was more important to me than my Savior. I thought a bigger home, a nicer car, better clothes and more "stuff" would satisfy me. But they didn't. They never do. It's like physical hunger; no matter how much we eat today, tomorrow we'll be hungry again. I think that's why Jesus called Himself the "Bread of Life". He satisfies our soul -- our very life. We go after stuff because our souls are hungry. So it really comes down to making a choice. What is more important to us? God or things? The Lord said we can't serve two masters, we'll end up hating one and loving the other, or we'll be devoted to one and despise the other. We can't serve God and wealth. (Matthew 6:24) Now that doesn't mean we have to be poor to serve God. Lot's of wealthy people serve God, using their money to further His kingdom. No, it's when we love money more than God that our souls starve. But when we seek the Lord and look to Him for satisfaction (which He supplies by His mighty strength), when we allow Him to continually fill us with His love, then we know peace, and joy, and contentment.  "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read each one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...